The Center for Disease Control guidelines state that children and adolescents should do 60 minutes or more of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day. You may be wondering why it is so important for your child to get physical activity every day.
Here are just a few reasons it is important for your child to stay active:
- Lots of activity as a child lays the foundation for a healthy active lifestyle as an adult! If your child is active through play as a child, he or she will be more likely to live an active lifestyle as he or she ages.
- Daily activity promotes healthy growth and development. It will lead to healthy weight management, strong bones and muscles, improved balance and coordination skills, and a strong cardiovascular system.
- Exercise has also been proven to help with your child's mental health. It can improve confidence, self-esteem, and concentration. It also plays a critical role in reducing stress and promoting relaxation.
- Exercuse such as sports povides opportunities to develop social skills and make friends.
- Physical activity is fun! Have your child choose something he enjoys doing (riding a bicycle, swimming at the pool, playing a game of soccer) and don’t forget as a parent you can join in on the fun too!