It's great to collaborate with co-workers and use your schooling materials to further your education - but sometimes, the greatest resource at your disposal is your laptop (or even your smartphone!)
Here are some great resources online for new and seasoned PTs.
- NGPT NewGradPhysicalTherapy. This site is developed for newly graduated doctors of physical therapy, providing content, media, support, and community sharing geared towards improving the transition from student to professional with plenty of career and clinical guidance.
- PhysicalTherapist.com. This site is a comprehensive PT online resource, including a forum, info on PT schools for prospective students, continuing education opportunities for therapists, job search, PT articles, and recommended PT products to use in your clinic.
- CYBERPT. This site is an online PT resource which aims to connect therapists with consumers, including forums for both patients and physical therapists, exercise videos, “ask a PT” consult feature, job boards, continuing education boards, PT articles and medical research library, and mall to purchase PT products.
- Therapy FunZone. This site is full of fun and creative activities and ideas for pediatric PT’s and OT’s.
- Pediatric PT Blog. Amy Sturkey, PT, runs a blog and has designed apps for treatment planning and ideas in pediatric physical therapy.
- The Inspired Treehouse. This blog run by pediatric physical and occupational therapists features activities that are designed to promote all kinds of developmental skills for kids.
- National Library of Medicine. Contains access to research in all areas of physical therapy.
- Physical Therapy Journal: This journal from the American Physical Therapy Association offers a wealth of content for physical therapists.
- Pediatric Physical Therapy: Journal from the Pediatric section of the American Physical Therapy Association
Associations and Organizations
- APPTAC. The Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy of the American Physical Therapy Association. Includes professional development, resources, job listings, and much more.
- Society for Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics. The SDBP is comprised of interdisciplinary professionals with research resources and special interest groups including early intervention, ADHD, and autism.
- Gait & Clinical Movement Analysis Society: The GCMAS is an association of professionals who want to advance knowledge in the field of gait and human movement analysis.
- International Organisation of Physical Therapists in Paediatrics (IOPTP). A subgroup of the World Confederation for Physical Therapy.
Karen McBrayer, PT, DPT, GCS